About the Organization
Founded in 2015 Monterey Bay Economic Partnership (MBEP) is a nonprofit membership organization consisting of public, private and civic entities located throughout the counties of Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz. Our mission is to improve the economic health and quality of life for all residents in the region. We invest in the big challenges so that our region thrives.
One important step to achieve our mission is ensuring the availability of safe and affordable housing. The Monterey Bay Housing Trust, in partnership with the Housing Trust Silicon Valley, has gained momentum. We now have over $12 million available for pre-development loans for affordable housing projects throughout the region. Last year we also launched our online advocacy platform, the MBEP Action Center, to promote projects and specific policies that increase housing and affordability. Lastly, through our Employer Sponsored Housing (ESH) efforts, we’re playing a supportive role in promoting best practices and sharing information to create more employer-sponsored housing projects throughout the region.
MBEP seeks a full-time Housing Associate to build on our successes to date and continue to foster successful initiative execution. This position will aid executive staff in implementing MBEP’s Employer-Sponsored Housing strategy while supporting the Housing Initiative overall. This is a detailed-oriented role that requires multi-tasking and effective communication to deliver first class results. Proactive planning, smart strategy, routine exercise of discretion and housing expertise are core competencies for this role.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Researching and communicating “best practices” around employer-sponsored housing
- Tracking ESH projects and policies in the Monterey Bay region
- Meeting with employers (schools, healthcare, hospitality) to offer technical support to help identify new potential ESH projects and act as a resource for such projects to help them to realization
- Organizing, leading, and tracking stakeholder meetings on employer-sponsored housing initiatives
- Provide technical support to the Monterey Peninsula Housing Coalition, and support MBEP member cities and other advocacy groups on the Peninsula with regard to housing production goals.
- Track the Fort Ord Base Reuse transition plans and ensure that housing development target goals are achieved by local governments redeveloping former base property
- Research & regulate housing policy & project endorsement requests as assigned
- Advocate for MBEP-supported housing projects with regional leaders, interacting frequently with key city and county housing officials, nonprofit and private developers, electeds, etc.
- Support housing related community outreach events throughout the region (Housing 101 Salons, Cafecitos, Networking Mixers, Housing Week, etc.)
- Attend staff meetings and networking events when applicable
- Represent MBEP endorsement positions at local government bodies including Planning Commissions, City Council or Board of Supervisors Meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Background and familiarity with housing issues, policy, laws and lending
- At least 10 years related work
- BA/BS in Urban Planning, Public Policy or related field
- Strong organization and communication skills (writing, speaking, listening and expertise in Microsoft Office software)
- High integrity, capacity to learn quickly, high intrinsic motivation, and grit
- Experience working with diverse groups of professionals and community leaders
- Strong computer and website skills, including using online tools for managing a broad coalition of housing supporters
- Attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Fluent in Spanish preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment (aka “start-up” ethos)
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time Position (40 hours per week)
Salary commensurate with experience
- Health care benefits
- Standard paid holidays
- Additional 2 weeks paid vacation
MBEP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE VALUE AND WELCOME DIVERSITY OF ETHNIC, CULTURAL, RELIGIOUS, SOCIO-ECONOMIC, POLITICAL BACKGROUNDS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION/IDENTIFICATION AND ABILITIES.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to send a resume and cover letter to Matt Huerta at email@example.com.